RE: WHICH UNIX FOR ORACLE?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 15:48:51 -0800

Hi List,

Glad this is turning out into a full scale war :)

One thing that we need to remember is that this is Global list. So if Sun is strong in Singapore, HP is stronger in Australia - it all depends on who is supported from where and what is the level of training/skill of the engineers themselves regionally... So perceptions change!

My experience with AIX was in a remote corner of the world (Can someone spot a 100 mile x 5 mile deep coastal country called Brunei? Hint - you can find it is part of a larger Asian Island). IBM S'pore had a local man with local on-site spares and although he was on call literally all the time, he did have his feet up in the air on a desk since the machines broke down _rarely_. Sun and HP hardware, patches and spare parts had to on the other hand arrive from S'pore and that took a while. As well, the local engineers were from a Sales agency rather than from the vendor, and had to drive about 100 miles to get there, maybe adding to my perception. Again. my perception of AIX in the US is that it does not have too much penetration, and thus that much less exposure as compared to HP and Sun.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com