RE: RMAN

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:28:41 -0800

Hi Dave,

> what advantage do you gain...

Well if something goes wrong with your scripts you only have yourself to blame but if something goes wrong with RMAN then you can blame Larry and company. :-) Of course the ultimate responsibility for data remains with the DBA regardless and I'm sure YOUR scripts are quite good.

RMAN incremental backups are a good thing. Why backup the entire datafile when really all that needs backup are data changes? For that matter, if you have a 2GB datafile that's only 10% full why backup the entire file instead of backing up just the datablocks that have data? Online backups vs. hot backups... Less redo with online backups. All things being equal, tuned RMAN backups "should" be faster and require less tape storage. Anyone have benchmarks on this?

> My scripts do hot backups to disk or tape, allow choice
> of tablespaces and will backup tablespace files in parallel
> according to the number of CPU's.

Ditto with RMAN.

> ...taking the two days to install RMAN?
Actually it only takes a few minutes. Complications may arise when compiling 3rd part MML libraries and in my experience it's always been a problem with the MML vendor, not Oracle. I've had some RMAN/MML integrations that were a snap. If you're using a networked tape backup cabinet then you only have to go through it once for all the database servers it supports and RMAN actually works quite well without a catalog now.

Hot backup scripts vs. RMAN... I've done both and I prefer RMAN. The hardest part was giving up on my treasured, proven scripts, learning something else and creating new scripts all over again.

ORRMAN for RMAN,
Steve Orr
Bozeman, MT

Author: Orr, Steve