Re: WHICH UNIX FOR ORACLE?

From: Paul Vallee <dbalist_at_pythian.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:09:44 -0800

Might as well get my two cents in... :-)

  1. Solaris Tied for 2... AIX, Tru64, HP/UX

(leaving NUMA out of the equation for now. If you like NUMA, then look into the status of IBM's acquisition of Sequent, I'm out of touch with that right now.)

Different hardware solutions from different vendors have different performance, stability and cost characteristics, and so I'll assume that all vendors have an appropriate solution on these factors, this may not be the case.

With these assumptions, the primary factor for me is the timeliness of the availability of releases, patches and patchsets. Sun Solaris 32-bit is the winner on this factor on the grounds that it is Oracle's internal development platform. All other platforms are ported from Sun Solaris 32-bit. When that changes, my recommendation would of course also change, as it did when Oracle moved away from Digital/VMS.

Anyone who has been in a situation where a bug was causing service failure and who heard that a patch was available for Solaris but not your platform knows where I'm coming from on this one.

Note: for the exact same reason, never use 64-bit Oracle on Solaris unless you absolutely need the very-large-sga support. 64-bit Oracle on Solaris is slow to get patches and releases.

Best,
Paul

---
www.pythian.com -- vallee_at_pythian.com -- 877-PYTHIAN
Smarter than adding another team member, Pythian has new services for
supplementing DBAs: get our help with monitoring, 24x7 on-call, daily
verifications, storage management, performance and more.