RMAN recovery behavior for a single datafile...

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 09:40:11 -0800

> You can recover just one or a set of datafiles with RMAN.

That's what I did just yesterday only I used the recover tablespace syntax. What Lisa is saying is that if you only need to recover one datafile all you have to do is use the recover database syntax and RMAN will "automagically" figure out which datafiles are OK and just recover the datafiles that are missing or need repair. I did a test of this a couple of years ago and the recover database syntax took much longer so I assumed it was replacing perfectly good datafiles with copies on tape and applying the logs.

This is an issue because if RMAN does the "automagic" thing then you can recover without thinking about mean time to recovery. If RMAN isn't so automagic then you still need to determine what needs recovery in advance and come up with the syntax to recover only the necessary datafile(s).

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com