RE: Stanby Database- Archive Transfer Problem

From: <Simon.Anderson_at_scisys.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 03:28:21 -0800

The quick answer to this one is : Try using more online redologs, adding them is a fairly simple RTFM.

>From looking at the setup you describe, I think you have two issues with your
standby database. Which one you fix will depend on how you want the system to behave.

It looks like you are using the 'default' standby database config, where you let Oracle take care of copying the archived redo logs to the standby database. I'd also guess that you have set the remote archive destination to OPTIONAL, so the database will abandon the attempt to copy the file if it fails.

What seems to be happening is that your system is switching through the redo logs faster than it can transmit them to the standby database. You are only using 4 redologs, so when it finishes writing to the fourth one and tries to start writing to the first one again, it has not finished copying it to the standby database. With the archive destination for the standby database set to OPTIONAL, it will abandon the attempt to copy the file rather than stopping the production database until the transfer is complete.

That would explain the missed files and give you two possible solutions:

You could make the archive_log_dest_2 MANDATORY - this would avoid missed files, but your production database will stop dead until the transfer is complete. This is probably a bad idea on its own.

You can make it more likely that the archived redo log will be copied across before the system needs to reuse that online redo log. Ideally, you do this by getting a better network, but thats probably not an option. The other answer is to have more than four online redologs, so it takes longer to wrap round to the first one again. More online redologs will compensate for short holdups in the network, but it isn't guaranteed - if you keep switching logs faster than you can transfer them, then sooner or later you will run into the same problem.

Increasing the number of Archive processes helped the first time because each file to be transferred got picked up as soon as it was ready, but I don't think theres any point having more archive processes than you have redo logs - theres nothing for the extra processes to do.

It could be some deeper problem with the network, but its probably just slow - you can check by measuring the time it takes to send a 1Mb file between the two computers when the system gets busy.

Hope this helps, theres much more info on Metalink

Simon Anderson

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Simon Anderson/SSplc)

If you find a solution for this, I would be interested in it. We have the same problem, same platform. Somatimes SAP starts some kind of processing and the network load increases enormously. And the archive log transfer fails after a while.

Tamas Szecsy