Re: Seeking opinions

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:53:22 -0800

Paul Baumgartel wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm currently working at a client where the OFA standard has been (as
> they put it) "taken to the next level". I disagree with their
> approach, and I'd be interested to see what list members think.
>
> The client believes that any DBA (there are about 16 on staff) should
> be able to locate data files in any database without querying the data.
> To this end, mount points are named both /unnn (e.g., /u001) and /annn
> (e.g., /a001). "System" datafiles (system, temp, rollback tablespaces)
> go only on the /unnn mount points, and in particular, datafiles for
> certain tablespaces must go on certain mount points--for instance
> rollback tablespace files always go on /u004.
>
> "User" datafiles are allowed on /a001 and /a002, tables and indexes,
> respectively.
>
> To my mind, this standard changes the Optimal Flexible Architecture to
> the Sub-optimal Inflexible Architecture, and all just to avoid a data
> dictionary query. What do you think?

Paul,

  Your story reminds me of a shell script I have seen which was the pride of its author and was 'fully configurable'. There was a configuration file containing assignments to about 200 variables, including those which could have been derived from others, and the great majority of which was used only once.
There is a fine line between extreme logic and insanity, and wanting to regulate anything down to the most minute detail is a sure recipe for pushing people to trespass the rules. My guess is that some day space will be lacking under /a001 or /a002, or that, because of a failing batch, the rollback/undo tablespace will be massively increased, past the then current capacity of /u004. This will probably end up with soft links, and that's when one will discover that the 'find' statements in the script lack '-follow'. The road to hell ...

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software