Designer's Table API: Threat or Menace?

From: Pardee, Roy E <roy.e.pardee_at_lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 06:53:23 -0800

Greetings all,

Is anyone out there using Oracle Designer's Table API? We're trying to decide whether to use it as opposed to writing our own packages & triggers (for things like populating sequence-generated PKs, upcasing VARCHARs, enforcing domains, etc.).

>From my (admittedly selfish) perspective, any working line of code that I
don't have to write/support is a good line of code, but it does look like a *lot* of code to do not so very much. Our DBA is concerned that it's creating unnecessary triggers, will suck down resources unecessarily, server will grind to a halt, etc.

My concern is that we'll find out that the TAPI procs are bulky & complicated for a reason--we'll decide to chuck them & then wind up reinventing them (and maybe not as well as the folks at Oracle). Has anybody out there been over this ground & care to make a reccomendation?

Thanks!

-Roy

P.S. In case it's important, we're using Designer 6.0 to create OAS-deployed Oracle Forms & Reports to run against a 9i db.

Roy Pardee
Programmer/Analyst
SWFPAC Lockheed Martin IT
Extension 8487