Re: Do programmers tune SQL?

From: bill thater <bthater2_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 04:43:23 -0800

wiwaniec_at_novalistech.com wrote:

> I may open a can of worms - but don't intend to...

zymurgy's law: once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to get a bigger can.;-)

> In our company many developers have DBA access to databases and
> in fact nobody does anything stupid. I have found that if people don't
> know what they are doing, they ask. Nobody tries to drop or truncate
> tables because they have found the script that seesm cool and want to
> see what it does... Over my 8 years here only once we had a problem -
> a few tables were dropped by mistake but the tables were dropped by
> our DBA who run the wrong script. It took almost no time at all to
> rebuild it. And it happened in a test database.

you are in a very good environment, stay there. i have had to give up DBA access to test databases to developers here, and then spend a lot of time rebuilding them because they had no clue as to what they were doing. it took me months of wasted time and long hours to get control back. and i had to keep up with production too.

i am obviously reluctant to give it up again, but i am more than willing to work with them to do any tuning needed.

> I understand restrictions in production databases but more access to
> development and test would make life easier and am sure more happy
> faces around.

only if you fix what you break, if i have to keep going in and fixing it i have less time in an already busy schedule to do what i need to in the production side.

Bill "Shrek" Thater              ORACLE DBA
                 bthater2_at_netscape.net
You gotta program like you don't need the money,
You gotta compile like you'll never get hurt,
You gotta run like there's nobody watching,
It's gotta come from the heart if you want it to work.
You are not thinking. You are merely being logical.   - Neils Bohr to
Albert Einstein

Author: bill thater
  INET: bthater2_at_netscape.net