RE: Oracle on NT

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:08:18 -0800

Blake,

When you open a command line window (aka DOS session I like to call them), remember to issue the following statement before you try to use sqlplus:

Set oracle_sid=put_your_SID_here

e.g.
set oracle_sid=ORCL
sqlplus

Then connect internal if you can.

I like to try something like select name from v$database to see if the database is really up. If it is, you will get the database name; if not... Oracle will tell you. You then probably should do a shutdown abort followed by startup (specify the pfile if Oracle doesn't know how to find it).

After rebooting, wait a couple of minutes before logging in. Oracle sometimes takes a while to get up and running on Windows NT 4, I strongly suspect it's the same on Windows2000, since that is just NT 5 anyway.

You can always r-click on the bottom bar, where the minimized applications appear. Select Task Manager, and look at the Performance tab to see if the memory has been allocated for your Oracle instance.

If you have more than one instance, you will need to set oracle_sid=xxx before using the tools, or you need to specify a connect string (e.g. sqlplus system/manager_at_orcl.myhost)

The Oracle Agent is a separate issue, that can be started using lsnrctl dbsnmp_start. To check if it is up, try lsnrctl dbsnmp_status

Re. the Oracle Agent, it could be that the dbsnmp user does not yet exist in your new database, if it doesn't, to create it you need to run catsnmp.sql which is located in /oracle/ora81/rdbms/admin/.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Apr 01 2002 - 18:08:18 CST