Re: Seeking opinions

From: <lembark_at_wrkhors.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:38:21 -0800

> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm currently working at a client where the OFA standard has been (as
> they put it) "taken to the next level". I disagree with their
> approach, and I'd be interested to see what list members think.
>
> The client believes that any DBA (there are about 16 on staff) should
> be able to locate data files in any database without querying the data.
> To this end, mount points are named both /unnn (e.g., /u001) and /annn
> (e.g., /a001). "System" datafiles (system, temp, rollback tablespaces)
> go only on the /unnn mount points, and in particular, datafiles for
> certain tablespaces must go on certain mount points--for instance
> rollback tablespace files always go on /u004.
>
> "User" datafiles are allowed on /a001 and /a002, tables and indexes,
> respectively.
>
> To my mind, this standard changes the Optimal Flexible Architecture to
> the Sub-optimal Inflexible Architecture, and all just to avoid a data
> dictionary query. What do you think?

Well, since Oracle's suggested "u01" is so COMPLETELY descriptive, I can't imagine changing it. Using anything so confusing as the name of a database, instance or project as the mount point or including things like "index", "rollback", "tablespace" or "log" is also pretty meaningless (unless of course someone does an "ls" to see them).

If you're willing to dump Oracle's suggested confusion, separating the files out by mount point makes sense on most systems since it allows better control over the locatioin of data files and less hassle growing logical volumes [unless, of course, you use Oracle's suggested hardware raw volumes for all storage].

If the direcories fit under some heirarchy that reflects the overall database orginization that certianly helps. If the layout looks like /instancename/general_use or /oracle/general_use/instance_specific_use.dbf you can figure out most of it rather quickly: a single instance can be clocked via ls -Rl /instancename in one or the overall health of a multi-instance server can be clocked via ls -Rl /oracle/ or ls -Rl /oracle/index (for example).

Trick is naming things in ways that reflect what's under the directory and giving the flat files names that have something to do with what they're used for.

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647