Re: Do programmers tune SQL?

From: Witold Iwaniec <wiwaniec_at_novalistech.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:59:15 -0800

I may open a can of worms - but don't intend to...

Sometimes DBAs and Sys Admins make tuning impossible or at least very hard for developers.

I am a developer and do a lot of tuning of statements used by our applications. I have, in our office, the luxury of DBA access to databases and access to UNIX servers. So life is not bad.

But I have been in places were security was very strict and:

On top of that DBAs had other tasks so sometimes it took quite some time to get a procedure recompiled, trace file generated, or run TKPROF. In one place there was a rule that DBAs had 48 hrs to respond to any request and sometimes it took that long.

Sometimes a very simple task, that could be completed in few minutes, took days because of all procedural things. At the end it cost companies lot of money.

In our company many developers have DBA access to databases and in fact nobody does anything stupid. I have found that if people don't know what they are doing, they ask. Nobody tries to drop or truncate tables because they have found the script that seesm cool and want to see what it does... Over my 8 years here only once we had a problem - a few tables were dropped by mistake but the tables were dropped by our DBA who run the wrong script. It took almost no time at all to rebuild it. And it happened in a test database.

I understand restrictions in production databases but more access to development and test would make life easier and am sure more happy faces around.

Witold

Witold Iwaniec
Sr Software Developer
NovaLIS Technologies