RE: Do programmers tune SQL?

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:23:32 -0800

Dennis,

I've had to keep after the Java developers here to use bind variables instead of literals. Apparently, it's much easier for them to construct literal SQL. They now understand the importance and use bind variable pretty much all the time.

A few months ago they started spawning multiple threads of some Java processes and used a "thingey" called Connection Pooling to mediate connections to Oracle. They fell back to using literal SQL, until they figured out how to use bind variables with Connection Pooling. Apparently, it's even harder to use bind variables with Connection Pooling. If you make the Java developers aware of these issues up front, maybe they'll go ahead and learn how to code it "right" initially.

Sorry I can't give details, 'cause all I know about Java is how to spell it! ;-)

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA