Re: Backups

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 05:18:18 -0800

Charlie,
 We do a cold backup of the production database active tablespaces (36 GIG) each night and a cold backup each Sunday night of the full database(active and read-only tablespaces 70 GIG). The reason we backup the read-only each week is it is easier to restore from one tape and I do not control the backup script. I find it easier to have the group in control of the backups to just backup the whole server once a week. Then I do not have to double check them all the time if I make changes to the database read-only data. Every 6 months I move a lot of data from the active tables to the archive tables and the majority of the time it will take 2 - 3 weeks to gat all the data moved( I have space limits on my archivelog destination). It can be a challange to make sure another department updates and completes their work. Our system is primarly a load in the am and query all day but there is a second instance that contains all of the applications that are query and update applications.
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> charliem_at_mwh.com 03/29/02 04:33PM >>> How many sites are doing cold backups? At what frequency?

How many sites are doing hot backups? At what frequency?

Does anybody know the existance of any "Best Practices" paper on the web that discuss the topic of Oracle backups? If so, what's the URL?

TIA!
--

Charlie Mengler                          Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                         10641 Scripps Summit Ct.

Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Apr 01 2002 - 07:18:18 CST