RE: Pro-C differences VMS to Unix

From: <Brian_P_MacLean_at_eFunds.Com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:28:29 -0800

You may be comparing apples to oranges here.

I have had ex-VMS people tell me that VMS is a screamer. So VMS to Unix is one issue.

You are also comparing v8.0.5 to v8.1.7.3. I haven't done a time comparison/benchmark for some years but when I was a developer I notice that my Pro*C programs got slower and slower as I moved from v6.0 to 7.1 to v7.2 to v7.3 to v8.0. The Pro*C I was dealing with were looping batch update programs with array fetches. I always attributed the slowing to the fact that the Oracle kernel keeps getting fatter and fatter and therefore had more hoops to jump through/past even though my programs didn't need the extra bells and whistles.

Lastly, I have seen (on this list) and heard elsewhere complaints that "when I switched from 32 bit Oracle to 64 bit Oracle the db got slower". I don't remember anybody ever explaining it, I don't know if it's true, but it might apply to your situation.

BOL and please keep the list updated on what you find out.

Brian P. MacLean
Oracle DBA, OCP8i

                    "Toepke, Kevin
                    M"                   To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <ktoepke_at_trile       cc:
                    giant.com>           Subject:     RE: Pro-C differences VMS to Unix
                    Sent by:
                    root_at_fatcity.c
                    om

                    03/29/02 09:44
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

One new thing you can do with PRO*C 8i is to use the The PREFETCH Precompiler Option if your application is processing a lot of data in a sequential manner (and you don't already do bulk fetches)

Caver