RE: Learn from my mistakes! Or "Helpful DBA hint of the day"

From: Gilles PARC <gparc_at_online.fr>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:28:18 -0800

on 18/03/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>In 9.0.1, when you create a DB, you would "connect / as sysdba". However,
>if you also run "catalog" and "catproc" while connected like this, Oracle
>Advanced Symmetric Replication WILL NOT WORK. You *MUST* be connected as
>"SYS as sysdba".
>
>It's taken me forever to find this. The biggest clue I had was a number of
>ORA-06550 errors in the create logs that point to a character set mismatch.
>Of course, I found an article on Metaclink that said this may be normal, so
>I ignored them at first. (I can't find that article again!)
>
>I know I've sent out at least one other message like this, but these little
>things can really come back and haunt a person. And maybe the next time I
>have this and send a message to the list, someone with a real memory can
>help me!
>
>Enjoy! :)

 Hi Rich,
sorry for a late answer...

Recently i had this same problem upgrading to 8.1.7.3 and found a clue burried in a Metalink Forum (search for thread 142012.995)

 The interesting part is :
<Quote>
The problem might be related to a few SQL*Plus initialization bugs, i.e. you should not call PL/SQL in the same session in which you started the instance. You need to reconnect first <End Quote>

HTH Gilles Parc

carpe diem !!

Author: Gilles PARC
  INET: gparc_at_online.fr