Re[2]: Odd Sql result

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:33:22 -0800

Stephane,

    Yeah, it's weird at best. Asked OTS about it, along with sending them the view defs and they replied that I should try on a supported version of Oracle. I forgot to mention in the previous post that this is on 8.0.5.2.1. Anyway, I tried on 8.1.7 & bingo it did not re-occur. The end result is that Oracle believes it to be a bug in 8.0. Well good for them, I really did need one more reason to upgrade this PIG and now I've got another.

Dick Goulet

Author: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date:       3/28/2002 12:23 PM

dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Now I've seen some odd results form queries in the past, but I'll be
d*mned
> is I can figure this one out. It defies logic.
>
> I've two queries that each return 50 rows from the database & the rows are
> the same is each case (stubby pencil check), but of the three columns returned
> the last two reverse. I'm including the SQL, a sample result set, and the
view
> definitions that are being used. If you can figure it out, please let me
know.
> I'm asking OTS as well.
>
> Dick Goulet

Waow, that's really weird. You say that what you are querying are VIEWS. Could you post the view text as well? I suspect that's where weirdness comes from. If they happen to be UNIONs with swapped columns in one segment, the fact that the RTRIM() changes the execution plan (probably) might hit other sections of the data.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software