Re: Questions about AUDIT

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:43:23 -0800

Here's my all purpose 'Where the heck is that and what is it called?' sql script.

I find it quite useful for times when I think theres an object in the database that I
want to see, but am not quite sure about it's name.

Jared

e.g. @finobj audit

col cobject noprint new_value uobject

prompt Find object name like? :
set term off feed off
select upper('&1') cobject from dual;
set term on feed on

col object_name format a30
col owner format a10

select object_name,object_type, owner
from dba_objects
where object_name like upper('%&&uobject%') union all
select name object_name, type object_type, 'SYS' owner from v$fixed_table
where name like upper('%&&uobject%')
order by object_name
/

undef 1

Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
03/26/02 11:58 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Questions about AUDIT

Other than keeping a "pencil and paper" record of currently active AUDIT statements, is this information held anywhere in ORACLE? That is, is there a
table or view, or something internal, that I can query to see what types of
activity are currently being audited in a database? I'm not talking here about seeing the results of the audit - I know they're recorded in the SYS.AUD$ table - but about the criteria which are currently active. This would be useful to know, so that when I've issued a series of NOAUDIT statements, I can check to see that there's nothing still being audited.

A related question - (which may sound like a classic RTFM, but I can't see this explicitly stated anywhere in the docs) - does an AUDIT statement remain active through shutdown/startup cycles, until cancelled by a NOAUDIT
statement, or is it only active until the next shutdown?

And finally: at what level of audit activity does it start to make a noticeable hit on performance? Would I expect users to start noticing delays
if I was simply auditing CONNECTs? What if I was auditing every INSERT at ACCESS level? Or every SELECT? I know this is a "how long's a piece of string?"-type question, but I'm just after a rough, rule-of-thumb level of knowledge here...

Oh, the platforms here are: 8.0 on Windows NT, 8.1.6 on NT and Solaris, and
8.1.7 on Solaris.

Any answers/ideas appreciated!

Paul Vincent
DBA
University of Central England

Author: Paul Vincent
  INET: Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 27 2002 - 18:43:23 CST