client/desktop management from network / was: Re: Net 8 installation on a server

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:23:26 -0800

consider an alternative (maybe for future):

use the network to standardize desktop settings, but not to store/run the executable.

there is software that will "vacuum" custom client/desktop settings from the network side, and allow you to deploy those settings (elsewhere).

sort of like "Ghost" on steroids.

(this is being studied here to rapidly re/deploy OS images and "standard loads" in university computer labs.)

eg, here is a product that our Dell rep brought in for a demo:

  http://www.altiris.com/

(I think at an educational discount, they were talkin' something like $60,000 for 2,000 nodes?)

note: Dell, IBM (and probably Compaq/etc.) have similar capabilities, in the case of IBM, it is (suppposedly) "bundled" with all Netvista desktops, but watch out, in many instances the hardware-vendor desktop management stuff only does limited OS/BIOS type stuff, not applications.

(eg, http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/pc/um/index.html )

due to the design/setup overhead involved, it is probably not worth setting up such stuff *just* for the Oracle client, but maybe you can get your LAN people to look into it long term for general use, and then use it for Oracle client stuff also?

you would probably want to have WoL capable boxes.

regards,
ep

ORACLE-L Digest -- Volume 2002, Number 086

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu