Re: Archiving Data Strategies.

From: Mohammad Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:48:29 -0800

It depends on Application and hardware availability like disk space. It is mix and match situation. With 7.3.4 neither you have partioning option nor to export old data using query option from source table and delete rows from that table.

If you are talking about Oracle Financials database , it has it is own purge routines but even then we customize our own option to backup the data first and then running purge routines for AR / INV tables.

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:53:29 -0800

Hi All,

I previously posted this question to the Lazydba List and got a couple of replies, but thought I would also send it to this list as well to see if I can just get a couple more (so excuses to those people that have already seen it)

I am currently discussing with a customer their requirements for archiving data as their system is 4 years old and billing data is piling up which obviously is affecting performance. I am pushing for an Oracle upgrade, they are currently on 7.3.4 and I am trying to get them to go to 9i. The main reason for this is so they can use partitioning.

My question to the List is to try and find out other people's experiences in archiving complex and integral data and whether most have gone the partitioning path or some other path (ie. Something like separate tables and data migration).

So I would appreciate anyones comments, the path they chose, database size etc.

With Thanks
Ian Biddell

Author: Biddell, Ian
   INET: Ian.Biddell_at_COMPAQ.com