RE: Oracle CPU Licensing

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:23:31 -0800

An analyst recently made a statement that under CPU licensing "Oracle is charging for unused CPU slots". I found this very surprising. I can see two possible interpretations:
1. If the system is capable of holding 8 CPUs, but I only have 4 CPUs installed, Oracle would charge me for 8 CPUs. I find this unacceptable. For one thing, in some machines, a slot can contain either a CPU or memory. 2. Some vendors (HP I believe) have offered an upgrade on demand configuration, where the system is delivered with more CPUs than the customer purchased. If the customer wants additional processing power, the vendor can switch on the additional CPUs, saving a visit by a customer engineer. Another possibility would be if I had a way to limit the number of CPUs that could execute Oracle. This doesn't sound so bad, since it might be easy to increase the number of CPUs without paying additional fees to Oracle.

        Has anyone heard of this type of license interpretation by Oracle? Our license renewal is coming up soon and we would prefer to not be blindsided.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 27 2002 - 09:23:31 CST