Re: Data Conversion procedural

From: <DBarbour_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:48:18 -0800

I think I forgot to take my happy pills today.

Raymond,

What possible input could you be looking for here? Have you designed the database? If not, start there. That requires some business process analysis. When you've designed the DB, you'll know what data elements you need to get out of the old system to populate the new. How you transfer the data depends on a variety of factors, none of which you've mentioned
(except you're putting the old system into Oracle).

If you're not looking to create and populate a database, are you trying to recreate the functionality? That requires some business process analysis
(I sense a theme emerging here). Once that's done, the rest is merely
hard.

Folks here can (I'm convinced) do just about anything (including metaphysical database administration) and will help you with everything from design questions and administration pointers, to coding tips. But you've got to be just a wee bit more specific.

Have fun.

David A. Barbour
Oracle DBA, OCP
AISD
512-414-1002

                    RAYMOND
                    <raymond_at_infop       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    ro.com.my>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Data Conversion procedural
                    root_at_fatcity.c
                    om

                    03/26/2002
                    08:23 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Hi Friend

Currently I'm going to do a conversion for our client to convert their system into our Oracle 8i Db..

I have prepare the package/function/procedure... and some of those script for the system.

Did you all have any conversion checklist for the purpose ?? Should I do a benchmarking first ?

Author: RAYMOND
  INET: raymond_at_infopro.com.my