RE: Oracle Wants Users to Hand over Apps Management

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:14:48 -0800

Uncle Larry (and his cohorts) issue such Earth-shaking, 'Future-direction-for-IT' type pronouncements as a way of assuring themselves when they are in a hole. Hate to say it, but there are a lot of Internal Oracle 'Consultants' without projects and Oracle would like to keep them employed at $300/hour!

That said, Market forces will drive consolidations, whether in the Data Centre or Services, and the bean-counters will win in the end. Whether they are ultimately right or wrong does not matter in the 'now' - every organizations wants to show 'current profit' (which cannot be lied about, unless you are Enron and employ Arthur Andersen :) and project large profits in the future 'if we take this path'.

The Internet was barely out of the Univs. about 8 years ago and look where we are now. Let's not pooh-pooh future possibilites, and instead concentrate on being prepared. In this case, I would look at Tools or technologies that would automate what I do as a DBA - whether in monitoring/fixing problems or in tuning or better automating backup/restore. For example, I would support an OEM implementation for 'point-and-click' types, but understand the SQL and scripts behind it, which will ensure that I can understand what's going on. This will make me more valuable than someone who is seen as a rebel who resists moving to new technologies and definitely more valuable than a newbie who has no clue about how OEM does what it does...

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com