Re: Net 8 installation on a server rather than client question

From: Rodd Holman <roddholman_at_HotPOP.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:19:10 -0800

I did this for a while with the 7.3 client. Performance was abysmal. My network admin also was on my case about network traffic. I don't know if the Net8 client would be better or not. Pointing TNS_ADMIN to a network drive is great, but unless there have been significant changes in the client, I would be more inclined to have it local.

What I did for the network install was to set up a machine installing the client to a network drive. Exported the registry key for Oracle. Copied the Windows system files to a network location. Added that location to the PATH variable. It was cumbersome, but it worked. On the other machines I imported the registry file, added the PATH variable, and TNS_ADMIN variable.

The problem with all this is when you upgrade the client, you have to upgrad all the user registries with the new keys and structure changes that Oracle makes. You may as well install each machine.

Rodd

On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 09:18, Ron Cetnar wrote:

    Question to the list. Is there was way to install Net 8 on a nt     server and have client pc's execute the Net 8 from     the server instead of loading Net 8 on the client's pc. To avoid     installation of Net 8 on the clients. I already have     the tnsnames.ora file on the server and with a bat file that updates     the registry on the client to point to the server     to get the tnsnames file.

    Currently using Net 8 ver 8.1.6

    Thanks

    Ron

    Ron Cetnar
    Supervising Programmer/Analyst/DBA
    State University of New York at Albany     MSC 100
    1400 Washington Ave
    Albany, NY 12222
    Email: rcetnar_at_uamail.albany.edu
    Work: (518) 437-4535
    Fax: (518) 437-4540

Author: Rodd Holman
  INET: roddholman_at_HotPOP.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 26 2002 - 13:19:10 CST