Now: Remote or Not? Was: Production Oracle DBA Needed in Rocheste

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:08:19 -0800

Hi all,

Thanks Chris for that nicely worded e-mail. It *is* true that Development work is easier to farm off elsewhere where it is cheaper, and even Oracle Corporation is farming out Internet-based Support and Development work elsewhere. These teams typically work with a bunch of junior developers somewhere else working on the major chunk of the project, fronted by one or two 'implementors' - typically senior and more 'culturally aware' locally working with the users/businesses they serve. This Development model does lend itself to such offloading.

However, I haven't heard of similar farming out of day-to-day DBA or SA services *outside* of the US. These services are perceived as 'Business critical' jobs still and Management wants to see/hear the key-clicks, esp. when a Disaster occurs or something goes wrong. Steve Orr - the one who escaped this $$$ valley for the wide open spaces he loves - made the point that Remote working is more an organizational issue than a technical issue. Face-to-face and human touch-and-feel still is still required, and time zones are still an issue (even here in the States where the West and the East is separated by just 3 hours).

Having said that, I have to say that I am in the process of wrapping up a 'remote' performance troubleshooting mini-project for a previous client. VPNs, Previous association and familiarity with systems/personnel and the requirement of out-of-the-ordinary skills for a limited period drove this remote assignment, and it worked out successfully. I did suffer from the 3 hour timezone difference, though it worked to our advantages at times. I do also know that many DBAs have been 'farmed-out' to 'Remote DBA Services' within the country (counting Canada too - Pythian, TUSC, ...), and a number of cross-country tuning assignments (from Australia - need I say more!) have also worked out well.

On a personal front, I observe that (at least in the US) the urban/suburban cost-of-living is driving more and more remote workers (quite a number of IT workers, esp. DBAs) into the extended suburbia (100 miles or more, up from the current 50 mile radius), where these workers do come in once or twice a week, sometimes to 'branch offices' spread out among the various suburbs.... Hence, you could theoretically work as a DBA in a city somewhere else for an organization with HQs/DBs somewhere else, as long as you have access/presence of a remote office, and possibly fly down to the HQ once in a while. Remote workers still need to be in a community, with access to education, recreation and health servcies, so this will probably not be too far off the beaten path.

On another tack, there was a discussion on this list about Ari's cool tools - the PocketDBA/SA. I could theoretically be far away in a log cabin (Steve - are you listening?!) and still be connected to the office - the question is: Do you want to be? In other words, most tools for full remote capability are available. But would Damagement accept them and not have to see a warm body fill a seat?

John Kanagaraj

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com