RE: Stand-by (Oracle9i Data Guard) vs. Replication

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:48:04 -0800

Yea yea yea.... well we don't have quite that level of definition at this point, and I have yet to see absolute numbers come my way. Isn't my project, in fact this is an outside vendor and I'm coming in on the tail end of the projects design phase and being asked, do you agree with this design and I'm saying, now's a fine time to ask.

I've asked for additional facts and figures, but pointing my little digits sometimes only get's them bitten off by the big machine that is.

The requirements as defined thus far to me are:

  1. No more than 5 minutes outage.
  2. No data loss
  3. each site has to be able to act autonomously.

three different kinds of data....

  1. Network wide data (used by all sites) - critical, no data loss
  2. Regional data (specific to a region, not used by other sites) - critical, no data loss
  3. Easily recoverable non-critical data. Data loss is tolerable.

That being said, they want to replicate between the four sites, and they want to use replication conflict resolution rules to deal with outages and resync of the databases. They claim it will work great, I'm thinking, yea right sounds like a bear to manage. I'd much rather do 9i data guard just off the hip, but as you point out, I do not have lots of info as yet, so we shall see what comes down the pike.

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle8i OCP
Oracle DBA Technical Lead
CSX Midtier Database Administration

The Cigarette Smoking Man: Anyone who can appease a man's conscience can take his freedom away from him.

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com