RE: Centralized vs. distributed DBA

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:08:22 -0800

Dennis,

I would go for the Corporate approach. The simple fact is that DBAs have a *lot* of responsibility in keeping the IT side of the organization running. (Ask Jeremiah Wilton - the Database *is* Amazon). Customer facing as well as Corporate/Financial/CRM type databases are extremely important to the organization today. You *cannot* have a group that does not have the same loyalties and chain-of-command manage these corporate assets (for assets they are), even if they are apparently not connected. Even if these DBA groups manage databases hosting disparate applications, there is still the issue of centralizing Oracle infrastructure developments (i.e. RMAN type rollouts, Monitoring/other tools) and having the ability of DBA groups backing each other up remotely (for e.g. staff shortages/turnover in one location can be tided over by a pool of DBAs from elsewhere remotely), etc. There is also the opportunity for cross-functional/cross-business training and ease of relocation due to adoption/implementation of common approaches.

I speak from experience here - I used to work for Shell Petroleum companies in many countries. I was able to pick up the OS/Oracle environment within a week of relocating halfway across the world, all due to adherence to standards. I was able to talk the same talk, look to the same central group (and provide feedback with credibility for changes, etc.), figure out the problems quicker because of familiarity as well as provide some cross-cultural best-practices.

The downside of this is that individuals may feel threatened, esp. in such an economy, of such a pool of DBA availability, and this may come up as 'we know better than them, so let's do it this way' attitudes. There is also the stifling of individuality and the 'this-is-the-corporate-office:just-do-it' attitude on the other side.

In the end, it all 'depends'.

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

Author: John Kanagaraj
  INET: john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com