Re: ORACLE 9i Database and Oracle9ias application

From: <hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:43:22 -0800

Actually, there are a number of InterOperability patches for 9iAS 1.0.2.2 with the 9iDB.
I'm only running 9iAS 1.0.2.2 against 8.1.7 yet.

BTW, if you check the Certification Matrix on Metalink, do not select the product "Application Server (9iAS)" This contains incomplete certification for 9iAS 9.0.2 on Solaris. Select "Internet Products" and then "Oracle9i Application Server Enterprise Edition"

Quoting the certification :
"Oracle9iAS Rel1 (V1.0.2.2.x) is certified to run against a Oracle9i Database 9.0.1 (on all supported platforms) in RAC

           configuration.
           9iAS 1.0.2.2 can run against any certified 9.0.1 (9i) backend
database, with exceptions and limitations:
                Oracle9iAS Database Cache and Oracle Enterprise Manager
functionality are NOT supported in this
                configuration.
                In order to run in this configuration, Oracle9iAS Forms
Services users should apply Oracle Forms Patch 5.
                Oracle9iAS Portal - Apply patches for bugs1794996 and
1806057. Apply workaround
                (07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY =true) for bug 1554423
                Users connecting from Oracle9iAS v1022 to Oracle9i database
through jdbc thin drivers - Apply patch for bug
                1725012 "

9iAS Wireless, J2EE (OC4J), iFS, Unified Messaging and eMail Server are, surpringly, listed seperately in the certification.

Hemant K Chitale
Principal DBA
Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd

"Charlie Mengler" <charliem_at_mwh.com> 22/03/2002 06:23 AM Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

Please respond to ORACLE-L

             To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
             cc: (bcc: CHITALE Hemant Krishnarao/IT/CHRT/ST Group)
             Subject: Re: ORACLE 9i Database and Oracle9ias application

Seema Singh wrote:

> Hi
> If I want to install oracle 9i Database and oracle 9iAS on same box.
> Is it necessary to have diffrent home for both or same?

use DIFFERENT home directories

> If I use oracle as unix loginname for oracle9i database then can I use
same
> unix loginname for Oracle 9iAS or not?

Yes, you can use "oracle" for both, but will need a way to change ORACLE_HOME. FWIW - I don't believe that all pieces of 9iAS are actually certified to run with 9i DB.

Author: Charlie Mengler
  INET: charliem_at_mwh.com

[This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should
not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
person. Thank you.]

  INET: hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com