RE: Rebuilding Index Organised Tables (IOTs)

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:21:21 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

Even this may not be the case (in my opinion I could be mistaken, my respects for every one).

As you know any index is made of branching blocks and leaf blocks.

When we build an index, it's mainly to get rid of deleted rows/entries in the leaf blocks and reclaim that space. Also reorganize the branching blocks (index tree).

The way I understand IOT it's made of PK index (ONLY THE BRANCHING BLOCKS PART) plugged into the table segment which could be considered as the leaf blocks.

Moving the IOT will rebuild only the branching blocks or the tree part of the index.

But the table segment or the leaf blocks will not be changed and will be moved as it's (including deleted entries) to the new place.

Overflow is a different issue.

Again any feedback and corrections will be appreciated.

Unfortunately do not have time now to test what I said.

Regards,

Waleed

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk