RE: Oracle hangs...Oracle 8.1.7.3 and Solaris 2.7

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:08:33 -0800

There are many things you can do to diagnose a system that is totally unresponsive.

You should spool output from v$session_wait joined to v$session every minute so that you have a record of what people started getting hung up on leading up to the hang. This might allow you to trigger a systemstate or hanganalyze dump programatically upon detection of a particular pileup of waits, but before the server becomes completely hung.

Also, you should identify a typical hung server process (such as one that you were logged in with in SQL*Plus before the hang, and now is hanging), attach to it using a debugger such as gdb, and obtain a backtrace.

$ gdb $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle <pid>
(gdb) bt

With that information, you can tell Oracle Support what calls your processes are getting hung up in.

Another tactic you should take is to use the ps command look at which oracle processes are getting CPU time.

$ ps -eo pid,pcpu,state,command | sort -n +1

If any are getting CPU time, you can use a system call trace utility such as strace, tusc or truss to find what that process is doing. Additionally, you can obtain a backtrace (see below) of any processes using up CPU time while the instance is hanging. This information can be forwarded to Oracle Support.

BTW, Oracle Support should have already suggested all these things to you. They are standard hang diagnosis steps.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).