RE: Should we say COLD or HOT backup OR ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELO

From: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC) <clchan_at_nie.edu.sg>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:03:26 -0800

Hi,

Pardon me if I am wrong, I thought the only reason for the database to be in archive log mode is so that I can recover the database up to the time when the database crushes.

For example, we do cold backup nitely. If the database were to crush etc at 2pm, I would be able to recover my database up to 2pm by using the cold backup and the archive log generated until 2 pm.

However, if my database has no archivelog, I can only recover my database using the backup last nite.

In my opinion, database in archive log mode is very important if I need to be able to recover the database up to the point of failure.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Regds,
New Bee

Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg