Should we say COLD or HOT backup OR ARCHIVELOG or NOARCHIVELOG mo

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:41:24 -0800

Ok.... maybe you will think this is a silly thread, but I've wondered about this before...

We (DBA's) use the terms hot and cold backups all the time. I wonder though, when we talk about cold backups if the terminology should not include the mode of the backup:

cold archivelog mode backup
cold noarchivelog mode backup

When we say "cold" backup, do we just assume it's NOARCHIVELOG mode...and enjoy the fact that we don't have to type or say as much...or should we be more specific to help the junior DBA's (or perhaps even those out there who have never really considered that there is a distinction between the two) out there? When books are written, I notice that they mostly just talk about hot and cold backups, assuming that the cold backup is in NOARCHIVELOG mode...

what about the junior DBA who does a cold backup in ARCHIVELOG mode and follows the standard cold backup procedure (backing up control files and redo logs) assuming that he can just recover them....(granted, anyone should test
their backup and recovery strategy, but this is a Jr. DBA!)

Just thinking aloud... is it a silly question?

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle8i OCP
Oracle DBA Technical Lead
CSX Midtier Database Administration

The Cigarette Smoking Man: Anyone who can appease a man's conscience can take his freedom away from him.

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 09:41:24 CST