Installs and Extra Cost Options

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:23:18 -0800

Sometimes I wonder if the correct thing to do is to install everything and then relink the Oracle executable disabling the unpaid for options. My thinking is this: a need arises where the option would be extremely useful; a successful case is made to management; and an agreement is successfully made with Oracle to add the product to our license. However, not all files required by the option are on disk. You have also installed the latest patchset which contains bug fixes to the option. You'd have to install from the CD and then again apply the patchset.

However if you had everything installed. It would just be a matter of relinking "oracle" to include the new option.

We have a very limited concurrent user license for the partitioning option. Here are some of the partitions

SQL> select table_owner, table_name, partition_name from dba_tab_partitions;

TABLE_OWNER                    TABLE_NAME                     PARTITION_NAME
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_DICTSTATE$              P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_DICTIONARY$             P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_OBJ$                    P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_TAB$                    P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_COL$                    P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_ATTRCOL$                P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_TS$                     P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_IND$                    P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_USER$                   P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_TABPART$                P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_TABSUBPART$             P_LESSTHAN100

TABLE_OWNER                    TABLE_NAME                     PARTITION_NAME
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_TABCOMPART$             P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_TYPE$                   P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_COLTYPE$                P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_ATTRIBUTE$              P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_LOB$                    P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_CDEF$                   P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_CCOL$                   P_LESSTHAN100
SYSTEM                         LOGMNR_ICOL$                   P_LESSTHAN100

These our not our partitions, but Oracle's. If you don't delink it, Oracle itself may use it!!!!

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 20:23:18 CST