RE: Recommended number of redo log switches per hour

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:49:13 -0800

Jeremiah,

You are in a bit of an unusual situation, most databases are not producing 5 to 10 Gb every 20 minutes. I grant the facts regarding instance recovery time and standby's. These should certainly be taken into consideration. However, it does seem frequent checkpoints are going to add overhead and that reducing the number of checkpoints which occur during periods of high activity would be beneficial. I usually go with large redo logs (as large as possible) and control me checkpointing with parameters if I have an SLA to meet. So I don't think clock time is completely out of the question.

Author: Post, Ethan
  INET: Ethan.Post_at_ps.net