RE: unable to apply patch

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:28:43 -0800

It could also happen if an eariler attempt to install the patch failed, and the installer updated the oraInventory contents. Or the installer is not reading the proper oraInventory directory. That directory and its contents can be very easily corrupted (per Metalink notes). I have run into that problem a couple of times.

I had to re-install the base release and then reapply the patch (8.1.7 to 8.1.7.2).

Lately, we set ORACLE_BASE to ORACLE_HOME and manually change the oraInst.loc file in /var/opt/oracle dir (/etc/oracle on some servers) to point to correct oraInventory directory for interested Oracle release. As we have 8.1.6, 8.1.7.0, 8.1.7.2 and 9.0.1 on some servers.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Mar 14 2002 - 09:28:43 CST