RMAN : Validate Restore does not detect missing archlogs.

From: Pat Howe <phowe_at_Illuminet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:43:49 -0800

I am testing out RMAN (8.1.7). I am trying out various "sanity check" scenarios.
In this test I wanted to see if RMAN can detect that our backup is not complete : ie; it is missing a "backed up" archive log file.

To do this I did the following :

STEP1
  Full database backupset including control and archive logs.

STEP2 /u03/backup/rman >
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 1449984 Mar 12 15:15 ctl_fincopy.snp
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 241295872 Mar 12 15:23
TESTDB_BACKUPSET_46_1_456333304
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 339059200 Mar 12 15:23
TESTDB_BACKUPSET_44_1_456333303
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 482697728 Mar 12 15:23
TESTDB_BACKUPSET_45_1_456333304
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 2560 Mar 12 15:23
FINCOPY_ARCHLOGS_48_1_456333832
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 7680 Mar 12 15:23
FINCOPY_ARCHLOGS_47_1_456333832 /u03/backup/rman > rm FINCOPY_ARCHLOGS_47_1_456333832 rm: remove FINCOPY_ARCHLOGS_47_1_456333832 (yes/no)? y

/u03/backup/rman >
total 2080262
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 1449984 Mar 12 15:15 ctl_fincopy.snp
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 241295872 Mar 12 15:23
TESTDB_BACKUPSET_46_1_456333304
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 339059200 Mar 12 15:23
TESTDB_BACKUPSET_44_1_456333303
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 482697728 Mar 12 15:23
TESTDB_BACKUPSET_45_1_456333304
-rw-r----- 1 oracle oinstall 2560 Mar 12 15:23
FINCOPY_ARCHLOGS_48_1_456333832 STEP3 VALIDATE RESTORE
I thought that "Restore Validate" would detect a problem. But it did NOT detect that I was missing backed up archive logs. BUT
This made sense because RMAN does not know that I physically deleted a file.

CROSSCHECK BACKUP
Therefore I tried CROSSCHECK BACKUP
BUT
This only checks for BACKUPSETS and not ARCHIVELOGS. ???

How do get RMAN to verify that all the 'backed up archivelogs' actually still exist ?
IE; That it has all the archive logs it needs to Rollforward. How do I get RMAN to acknowledge that we have a problem ?

Maybe I am asking to much of RMAN - but hey - it does this for BackupSets (crosscheck backup) - why not archive logs.

PS :

I attempted to perform an RMAN recovery and low-and-behold RMAN recognized that I was missing some REDO.
BUT you do not want to know this at this time.

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: recover
RMAN-03002: failure during compilation of command
RMAN-03013: command type: recover(4)
RMAN-06053: unable to perform media recovery because of missing log
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 416 scn 493178 found to restore
RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 415 scn 493176 found to restore RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 414 scn 493172 found to restore

 Patrick J. Howe
 Oracle DBA
 Illuminet Inc. (Carrier Division of Verisign)  4501 Intelco Loop SE
 Olympia, WA 98507
 Phone : 360.493.6284
 Email : phowe_at_illuminet.com

Author: Pat Howe
  INET: phowe_at_Illuminet.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 16:43:49 CST