NUMERIC_OR_VALUE_ERROR_ORA-6502 !!!

From: Jackson Dumas <tjaros_at_webmail.co.za>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:48:22 -0800

Yeah

My clients had a problem a couple weeks ago for the same application but different databases on different platforms, different weeks.

First occurance on DB1 : This happend on one user's machine and it came out that his PC was not properly setup. DB1 was running on WINDOWS NT. Second occurance on DB2 (running same application as DB1) : Here DB2 is running on HP-UX 10.20 and nothing was generated on alert.log and no trace files were there. During the investigation we ended not being able to connect to box (machine) and thus as a result the box bounced itself. Then I started the databases (by the way there are two databases running here, but only the one where the application running on DB1 is running had a problem but the other was fine) and the everything worked fine.

Third occurance on DB3 (running same database as DB1 and DB2) : This database is ruuning on Window NT.Here also no errors on alert log and trace files. The work around was that they loaded other stored procedures and it worked.

According to metalink the error reported was because of datatype kinda error where one is trying to select, fetch or assign a value that is longer (larger) than the declared size of a variable.

Now how sure can I be that the errors is really pointing to the application and convince the application developers to fix it. There are other regions running the same application but not yet impacted by the same error. I send them the document form metalink but they seem not convinced. How do I handle this error or help them.

Thank you,

Junior ORACLE DBA

 http://www.webmail.co.za the South-African free email service

Author: Jackson Dumas
  INET: tjaros_at_webmail.co.za
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 06:48:22 CST