RE: Cost vs Rule

From: Shaw John-P55297 <P55297_at_motorola.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:43:39 -0800

The following is from the Tim Gorman paper

· OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING
This initialization parameter represents a percentage value, ranging between the values of 0 and 99. The default value of 0 indicates to the CBO that 0% of database blocks accessed using indexed access can be expected to be found in the Buffer Cache of the Oracle SGA. This implies that all index accesses will require a physical read from the I/O subsystem for every logical read from the Buffer Cache, also known as a 0% hit ratio on the Buffer Cache. This parameter applies only to the CBO's calculations of accesses for blocks in an index, not for the blocks in the table related to the index. · OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ
This initialization parameter is also a percentage value, ranging between 1 and 10000, representing a comparison between the relative cost of physical I/O requests for indexed access and full table-scans. The default value of 100 indicates to the cost-based optimizer that indexed access is 100% as costly (i.e., equally costly) as FULL table scan access. As it turns out, the default values for each of these parameters are wildly unsuitable and unrealistic. I'll prove this assertion later in this paper, but for now, suffice to say that OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING should be set to 90 and OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ should be set to a value which usually ranges between 10 and 50 for most online transaction processing (OLTP) systems, For data warehousing or other decision-support systems (DSS), it might be prudent to simply set this parameter to 50.

Author: Magaliff, Bill
  INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

Author: Shaw John-P55297
  INET: P55297_at_motorola.com

Author: Magaliff, Bill
  INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

Author: Shaw John-P55297
  INET: P55297_at_motorola.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 15:43:39 CST