Re: Oracle Migration 7.3.4.5 to 8.1.6.3

From: Mark Cilia <cilia_at_maltanet.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:33:19 -0800

Hi

We have to go to 8.1.6.3 'cause we're using a case tool be CA (Computer Associates) and that's the Oracle version they support.

In our cluster environment, we're not using OPS but a single instance which fails over a second node.

Our first ideas (which are not acceptable) were import/export or using a tool like pdqout to extract all data as ascii and the use sqlloader (direct path) to load the data into a new 8163 database.

But the migration utility seems very interesting especially with regards to the downtime.

Could you please provide me with some more info about the "ODMA". I appreciate a lot.

Thanks once again for your valuable feedback

regards
mark

> Why 8.1.6.3 ? Go to 8.1.7.2 or 8.1.7.3. 8.1.6 has been desupported.
>
> What is the OS version ? Solaris 2.5.1 ?
>
> 32-bit 8.1.7 is certified on 2.6 and above.
> 64-bit 8.1.7 is on Solaris 8 (2.8) of course.
>
> That you have a Cluster -- is it OPS or single-instance database which
> fails
> over to the second node ?
>
> If you use the MIGrate utility, you should have very low downtime.
> 1. Install 8.1.7 + Patchset 2 or 3 : 1.5 hours max. Install into a
> seperate ORACLE_HOME.
> 2. MIG database 1 hour ?? (depends on the size of the SYSTEM Tablespace,
> not the full database) -- I suggest you use the command-line MIG
utility,
> I've been
> more comfortable with it than ODMA.
> 3. Configure init.ora, copy convSID.ora, ALTER DATABASE CONVERT and
> catalog and catproc
> in 81.7 : 1.5 hours max.
> 4. Recompile Invalid Objects : Depends on how many you have.
>
> Don't waste time installing the JVM into the database -- you are not
> currently using it.
>
> You'd have to practice the migrate a couple of times on another server.
>

> Hemant K Chitale
> Principal DBA
> Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd
>

> "Mark Cilia" <cilia_at_maltanet.net> 07/03/2002 02:13 PM
> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
>
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>