Re: Oracle Migration 7.3.4.5 to 8.1.6.3

From: <hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:28:19 -0800

Why 8.1.6.3 ? Go to 8.1.7.2 or 8.1.7.3. 8.1.6 has been desupported.

What is the OS version ? Solaris 2.5.1 ?

32-bit 8.1.7 is certified on 2.6 and above. 64-bit 8.1.7 is on Solaris 8 (2.8) of course.

That you have a Cluster -- is it OPS or single-instance database which fails
over to the second node ?

If you use the MIGrate utility, you should have very low downtime. 1. Install 8.1.7 + Patchset 2 or 3 : 1.5 hours max. Install into a seperate ORACLE_HOME.
2. MIG database 1 hour ?? (depends on the size of the SYSTEM Tablespace, not the full database) -- I suggest you use the command-line MIG utility, I've been
more comfortable with it than ODMA.
3. Configure init.ora, copy convSID.ora, ALTER DATABASE CONVERT and catalog and catproc
in 81.7 : 1.5 hours max.
4. Recompile Invalid Objects : Depends on how many you have.

Don't waste time installing the JVM into the database -- you are not currently using it.

You'd have to practice the migrate a couple of times on another server.

Hemant K Chitale
Principal DBA
Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd

"Mark Cilia" <cilia_at_maltanet.net> 07/03/2002 02:13 PM Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

Please respond to ORACLE-L

             To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
             cc: (bcc: CHITALE Hemant Krishnarao/IT/CHRT/ST Group)
             Subject: Oracle Migration 7.3.4.5 to 8.1.6.3

Hi All

We are in the process of migrating our database from 7.3.4.5 to 8.1.6.3. We are using a Sun Cluster (2 E4000 each with 4x480Mhx processors and 4gb Ram) for our system which is almost 24x7. This whole operation must be performed (ideally) within a maximum of 24 hour period (during say a national holdiday). Our database is approx 100Gb large.

Any suggestions on how to do this operation? Any past experience?

TIA
mark

--

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
http://www.orafaq.com

  INET: hemantchitale_at_charteredsemi.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 02:28:19 CST