RE: PCT_USED/PCT_FREE : Storage of 32mb images

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:53:20 -0800

I'm trying to understand this. How many records are in the table? Is it four? If so 115,437,005 / 4 gives an avg_row_len of about 27.5 MB. AVG_ROW_LEN for a table does not include the lob segment; the number is terribly high. What is your table definition including the definition of your lob segment?

Here's one of mine, slightly altered. The database version is 8.1.6.3

CREATE TABLE x

 (FILE_ID NUMBER(7,0) NOT NULL

,FILE_TYPE VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL
,FILE_FORMAT VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL
,FILE_NAME VARCHAR2(80) NOT NULL
,FILE_PRIVATE VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL
,COMMENTS VARCHAR2(240)
,FILE_DATA BLOB
,DATE_CREATED DATE NOT NULL
,CREATED_BY VARCHAR2(30) NOT NULL
,DATE_UPDATED DATE
,UPDATED_BY VARCHAR2(30)
,CONTENT_TYPE VARCHAR2(240)
,CONTENT_DISPOSITION VARCHAR2(240)

 Lob(FILE_DATA) STORE AS loby
 (TABLESPACE zzzzzzz
 PCTVERSION 5
 ENABLE STORAGE IN ROW
 CHUNK 8192
 NOCACHE LOGGING) The bp_files table is in a tablespace with locally managed extents with a uniform size 0f 128K. The lob segment is in a locally managed tablespace with 4 MB uniform extents. Sizes of the individual lobs vary with the largest one being just over 15 MB The avg_row_len of bp_files is 201 bytes. The size of the lob segment according to debasements is 742,391,808 bytes whereas SELECT SUM(dbms_lob.getlength(file_data) from x is 729,736,842. The difference between these numbers averages less than 7 KB per BLOB.

It appears you are trying to apply table physical attribute parameters to the lob segment. Take a look at pctversion defined in the docs as ....

The maximum percentage of overall LOB storage space used for creating new versions of the LOB. The default value is 10, meaning that older versions of the LOB data are not overwritten until 10% of the overall LOB storage space is used.

You would set your pctversion to 0 if no updates will take place.

Ian

Author: Browett, Darren
  INET: dbrowett_at_city.coquitlam.bc.ca

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.