Re: Riddle me this Oracle riddle...

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 06:43:19 -0800

Varchar2 datatype is NOT null terminated in C or anywhere else that I can think of. It is a 2 member structure one being the contents the other is length of contents.

Rick

                    Scott Canaan
                    <srcdco_at_ritva        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    x.rit.edu>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Riddle me this Oracle riddle...
                    root_at_fatcity.
                    com

                    03/06/2002
                    08:58 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

I believe that varchar2 is a null-terminated string (like in C). Varchar is the
string with the byte count at the beginning (like Pascal).

"Jamadagni, Rajendra" wrote:

> Initially is will be nothing unless test.col2 has a default value as
> varchar2 structures are data_length followrd by actual string. The
maximum
> that p_in_one can have is 200 bytes thought due to its anchored
definition.

> The answer, none initially as it will be initializes to NULl value, then
> whatever you assign ti it plus 2 bytes to store the length of the actual
> string, max size is 200+2 bytes (assuming standard characterset).
>
> This has no baring on max size of varchar2 because by definition of
> p_in-one, its max length is limited to 200.
>
> Raj
> Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.
> Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
> Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN
Inc.

--
Scott Canaan (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(585) 475-7886