RE: Names server

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:28:29 -0800

Yechiel,

That's all well and good if you get to set it up from the beginning.

I inherited it. Tnsname.ora everywhere. Different desktops with different names for the
same databases. It's a nightmare. I plan to setup Onames when I get a chance to do so.

Putting tnsnames.ora on network file servers wouldn't work so well. We have offices
( and users ) in Asia, North America, Europe and the Middle East.

At least I only have hundreds of desktops to deal with rather than thousands.

Jared

àãø éçéàì <adary_at_mehish.co.il>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
03/05/02 07:48 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Names server

Hello All

I saw some remarks about updating tnsnames on many desktops. Why would you have tnsnames in every machine? I put our client software on a central server, with the tnsnames. One update to the tnsnames in the server apply to all. Installing for a new PC is importing the registry entries and add two paths to the search list, done in two minutes.

Yechiel Adar, Mehish Computer Services
adary_at_mehish.co.il

ÿóåy«±ç­…ê~'"jS‘ Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 12:28:29 CST