Re: Linux command to display total disk capacity

From: <antonio.belloni_at_hstern.com.br>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:49:03 -0800

Hi,

To see the size of all disks and partitions (SCSI and IDE):

PHS7:/proc $ cat partitions
major minor #blocks name

   8     0    2202244 sda
   8     1    2200873 sda1

   8 16 4406935 sdb
   8 17 4401778 sdb1
   8 32 4406935 sdc
   8 33 4401778 sdc1
   3     0   14668416 hda
   3     1    1951866 hda1
   3     2          1 hda2
   3     5     128488 hda5
   3     6   12586896 hda6
   3    64    9770544 hdb
   3    65          1 hdb1

   3 69 9767457 hdb5

sda = size of the first SCSI disk.
sda1 = size of the first partition on the sda disk. hda = size of the first IDE disk.
hda = size of the first partition on the ide disk.

HIH,
Antonio Belloni

                    "Marin
                    Dimitrov"              To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    <marin.dimitrov        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    @sirma.bg>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: Linux command to display total disk
                    root_at_fatcity.co        capacity

                    05/03/02 13:13
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

> Does someone know what command can be used to display total capacity of
disk
> drive? I can use command "df -k" but it breaks partitions apart so I
have
> to add them up. I need command just display a total.

for an IDE drive do:

cat /proc/ide/xxx/capacity

...where xxx is the disk drive u're interested in (hda, hdb,...). The size returned is in 512b blocks

for SCSI it's not that easy

hth,

    Marin

"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you. Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "
Author: Marin Dimitrov
  INET: marin.dimitrov_at_sirma.bg

  INET: antonio.belloni_at_hstern.com.br