Re: Names server

From: Nikunj Gupta <good_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 21:33:19 -0800

Hi All,

Following is my observation on UNIX Server. Except for this CLIENT Connections and individual connections from around the world and servers work without any problems.

Just to add.. With Names Server life and management is easy...

This test was performed with ORACLE NAMES CONFIGURED on the SAME SYSTEM... and using the SAME ORACLE HOME / VERSION.(8.1.7)

I had 5 background processes to run more or less concurrently using a simple SQL Script.. such as select sysdate from dual;

These scripts were executed almost 20 times.. and here is approximated result..

Here are the success rates for each of the 5 processes that try to connect:

First spawned process: 60% success rate. Second process: 20%
Third process: 25%
Fourth process: 45%
Fifth process: 55%
Overall success rate: 41%

Never did all the 5 processes were successful.

NOW... If I added a sleep 1 command in shell script before each of the 5 scripts.. success rate was 100%.

Similarly,

Instead of USING ORACLE NAMES.. I changed SQLNET to use TNSNAMES.. and performed similar test WITHOUT SLEEP 1.. (i.e. performed the original test which failed with ORACLE NAMES)...

RESULT FOR TNSNAMES : 100 % Success.

NOTE : Only change was TNSNAMES used instead of ONAMES.

Any suggestions / parameters that need to be verified ?

> We use Oracle Names big time.
> Our approach is to keep using it until it *really* does not come on the
> Install CD.
> It will be a mistake to get rid of something that has now stabilized very
> well.
> - Kirti

<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Nikunj Gupta