Re: replication question

From: Rahul Dandekar <rvd_oracle_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:23:29 -0800

Well, you could open standby DB only for read only access (8i) whereas in replication, both or all (more than 2) databases could be up and open to users all the times.

Each DML causes substantial overhead as each transaction needs to be propogated and applied at all the master sites (whereas in Oracle Parallel Server, there is centralized database accessed by multiple instances, there is no need for this).

So, if you donot need two databases at two geographically separate locations, open for users, then Standby DB or OPS might be better option. Again, in OPS, if the hardware cluster fails then you are in trouble...

About speed, if you could tune up sending of logs and application of it, then Standby database would consume substantially lesser resources than replication, hence higher throughput... The primary database in Standby DB just needs to send the archivelogs (simple file transfer) and then log application happens on the secondary server... Whereas, in replication, the database would have to propogate and apply each and every transaction individually....

+Rahul

  Is replication faster than a standby database. As I understand it, the standby database will be receive arch logs at preset intervals. Does replication have the same functionality and about how much data is sent to the replicated site.

Author: Rahul Dandekar
  INET: rvd_oracle_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 04 2002 - 13:23:29 CST