Re: Perf Advice Needed: cache buffers chains, high waits, _db_block_hash_buckets

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:08:18 -0800

Don't forget that Oracle has redesigned the whole area of hash buckets and hash latches.

In 8.1, the number of buckets is roughly 2 x db_block_buffers, but each latch covers multiple buckets (don't forget that a latch is about 160 bytes, so a noticeable amount of memory overhead)

Because each latch covers multiple buckets, the latches can be held for a short time, as they need only be held whilst one bucket is searched. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to see the number of buffered blocks per bucket.

Steve Adams has a formula relating db_block_buffers to the number of latches, but for most reasonable sized database, the answer is 1024. Typically you are likely to see between 64 and 128 buffers per latch.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html