RE: RE: PocketDBA

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 08:36:31 -0800

Hi John!

Yeah, it was definitely a cool toy and even though the display area was small I was impressed with how crisp and clear it was and with how much data you could see on such a small device. Later, when Ari was on the DBA panel, there was a discussion about what columns were in a particular V$VIEW. While the discussion continued Ari pulled out his cell phone- how rude. ;-) Turns out he logged on to a server in Chicago and did a describe on the view to give the group the definitive answer. Cooler still!

The problem with this stuff is that it takes away my unavailability. I don't want to carry a pager or cell phone when I'm skiing or backpacking... I want to be incognito. But IFFFF I have to carry a pager when I go skiing then I'd rather have PocketDBA/SA because I could possibly solve the problem while standing on the slopes (or in the lodge if it's too cold to take the ski gloves off). This would save me a trip to the home/work PC which would ruin the day.

...How to become more disconnected in the weird wired world in which we live?

  1. SQL> commit;
  2. SQL> quit
  3. $ exit
  4. push power button
  5. place ALL wireless devices on desk
  6. load skis into SUV
  7. drive away quickly

Steve Orr
Looking listlessly out the window in Bozeman, MT

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com