Re[2]: Clash of the DBs in eWeek

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:38:27 -0800

I find the eWeek comparison very interesting. It's one comparison that does have some credibility since they used the same hardware, OS and patch level, and accilinary software. The only thing that changed was the database software. True, someone who knows Oracle well could have tuned it to do better. But with the cost of Oracle attached to a web server a cheaper alternative for 'non critical' data is more than welcome. I've a pile of data that we want to publish to the web, would be static during the day, and is completely re-buildable from internal data sources. Sounds like a perfect application of MySql to me. BTW: I wonder why they omitted my other favorite open source DB, PostGres.

Also it was great to see Oracle knock the wind out of Sql*server & DB2.

Dick Goulet

Author: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.com>
Date:       3/1/02 2:03 AM

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 02:31:32PM -0800, Fisher, Julie wrote:
> And if you go to their web site www.mysql.com, they "crash me" compare
> against Oracle 8.1.6 and damn, they appear to look good. "They gots lots
> more green stars than Oracle, by george." Of course most of those
> categories are SQL functions/capabilities. They don't even touch on memory
> allocation, types of backups/archiving, so on and so forth. And of course
> the lack of column constraints,table constraints, foreign keys...<tsk> just
> noise. Wait!! Dammit Oracle!! Give me the tinyint type! MySQL has it!
>
> ...maybe I'm just being fussy....

Also, FYI, the performance comparisons at www.mysql.com are based on an *out of the box* Oracle configuration. No tuning at all. You can guess how well Oracle performs.

They have told me that they'd be happy to accept an updated comparison with a well tuned Oracle installation. Should be easy to do for someone here, they supply all the benchmark script and an automated harness for it.

Tim.

Author: Tim Bunce
  INET: Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com