Implicit Sessions created by JDBC-OCI

From: Okan CIMEN <okan_at_cimen.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 04:43:23 -0800

Hello,

I have searched metalink in order to find an answer to my problem but all I was able to find is the definition of my problem posted by some other guy. Below is his posting. I hope I can get an answer asap.

Regards
Okan

Implicit Sessions created by JDBC-OCI

Our environment is Aix 4.3.3 and Oracle 8.1.6.2 EE. We do have MTS activated for the database.

Our developers have created a server-side application that uses JDBC calls to the Oracle OCI interface to communicate with the database. They can explicitly open and close sql calls to the database through their application, but whenever a user makes a connection to the database, it appears the OCI layer is making the following call:

SELECT VALUE FROM NLS_INSTANCE_PARAMETERS WHERE PARAMETER ='NLS_DATE_FORMAT' A database session is created that executes only this statement. This database session was not explicitly opened by the user application so it never gets closed and sessions rapidly increase in number. I have tried various "tweaking" on environmental parameters but all I can do is change the type of command. I cannot prevent it's creation. Right now, there are no "NLS_" parameters explicitly set in init.ora, and so far as I can see there is nothing in the Unix environment that is NLS related either. Database V$NLS_PARAMETERS ARE: NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN

NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY $
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS .,
NLS_CALENDAR GREGORIAN
NLS_DATE_FORMAT DD-MON-RR
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE AMERICAN
NLS_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII
NLS_SORT BINARY
NLS_TIME_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZH:TZM
NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY $
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET US7ASCII
NLS_COMP BINARY

Is there anything that can be altered in the database or environment to prevent these additional database calls?

Author: Okan CIMEN
  INET: okan_at_cimen.org

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 01 2002 - 06:43:23 CST