Re: moving from unix to NT

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:49:29 -0800

Jared,

On NT oracle.exe runs as "OracleService<SID>" service. Hence UTL_FILE will be executed under whatever OS account "OracleService<SID>" service runs.
And I was not able to make it running properly under any other than SYSTEM account.
Remember, on NT Oracle is one big (though multithreaded) process, unlike it is on UNIX.

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

> I don't have any experience with UTL_FILE on NT. I've used it a little
> on unix. Don't know why it wouldn't work on NT. As stated by others,
> it might be a problem if writing to network drives, as the SYSTEM user
> does not have access to those when run as a service.
>
> This doesn't seem reasonable though, as the instance itself does not
> run as a service. The VOS runs as a service, but not the instance.
>
> Best bet is to try it.
>
> The biggest problem will likely be your code. If you have paths hard
> coded in it, you will have to rewrite. If they are stored in a table,
> just
> change the data.
>
> If you're interested in Perl, I can send you the same email I sent
> Dave Farnsworth. I can do that tonight from home if you like.
>
> Jared
>

> John Dunn <john.dunn_at_sefas.co.uk>
> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
> 02/28/02 02:08 AM